University of Piraeus
The University of Piraeus was founded in 1938 under the title of
the "School for Industrial Studies", by the Industrialists and
In 1945 it was renamed to "Higher School for Industrial Studies"
and its aim was defined to be the systematic, theoretical and
practical training of managerial executives.
In 1958, the "Higher School for Industrial Studies» was again
renamed to "Graduate School of Industrial Studies", with its
headquarters in Piraeus. Starting from 1966, the University
operated in the form of a public legal entity.
In 1989, the "Graduate School of Industrial Studies" was renamed
University of Piraeus. Today, the following seven Depart-ments are
run by the University of Piraeus:
- Business Administration
- Statistics and Insurance Science
- Financial Management and Banking
- Industrial Management
- Maritime Studies
- Technology Teachers Education (starting in 1999 - 2000)
These Departments award degrees and doctorates in the
corresponding scientific fields.
The University has additionally proposed to the Ministry of
National Education and Religious Affair the establishment of the
- Social Administration
- European Legal Studies
- Education (Primary Education)
- Education (Infant School) and
- Tourist Economy
As from September 1995, the following postgraduate curriculums
are run by the Department of Business Organization and
- Masters' in Business Administration and
- European Masters' Program in Total Quality Management
- Will be starting in September 1999. Master (MSc) program in
Starting in September 1997 the Department of Banking and
Financial Management offers a Masters program in Banking and
Starting in September 1998 the Department of Industrial
Management. Masters program in Industrial Management.
Specialization: a) Logistics 2) Energy Management and
Environmental Protection Systems 3) Master (MSc) in Health
Informatics and Management Care Services.
Starting in September 1998 the Department of Informatics Master
(MSc) in Health Informatics and Management Care Services.